Disclosure: This post was made in partnership with the US Highbush Blueberry Council.
Roses are red….
Blueberries are blue….
We’re official spokespeople for the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council, which means more blueberry recipes coming from us to you!
(Did we butcher that or did we nail it?)
In case you missed it, last week we announced that we will be partnering with the US Highbush Blueberry Council for a second year in a row. We got incredible feedback from the recipes we developed last year —this Bite-Sized Blueberry Vegan Cheesecake and this Warm and Cozy Blueberry Crumble were crowd favorites— and we want to create more.
We’re kicking off this partnership with this incredible Savory Blueberry Flatbread Pizza. For this recipe, we reduce the blueberries into a subtly sweet sauce, which pairs perfectly with the the savory ricotta and gorgonzola cheeses.
This simple yet satisfying dish is perfect for a quick weeknight meal. It also works well for a fancy dinner party where you want to impress your guests with minimal work. We used naan bread for this recipe, but pita bread works well too! This makes a single serving, but just scale up ingredients if you’re feeding more people.
One of the reasons we are champions for blueberries is that these little blue dynamos are a nutrition powerhouse. One cup of blueberries provides a good source of dietary fiber and vitamin C. And that pretty blue color? This comes from anthocyanins, a water-soluble pigment that imparts colors ranging from blue and purple to shades of red.
Ready to give this recipe a try? Thought so. Start by preheating the oven to 400F. In a small pot over low heat, add the blueberries and apple cider vinegar then cook for two to three minutes, slowly mashing the blueberries with a spoon to release its juices. Once that’s done, you should have a thick blueberry sauce (which smells divine). Set the sauce to the side.
Next, place the flatbread on a baking sheet, and using a knife, spread the ricotta cheese onto the bread, then drizzle the blueberry sauce, add the gorgonzola and onions, and bake for 10 minutes. Top with fresh arugula for a peppery finish. Last but not least, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and olive oil, to taste!
Your turn! If you try this recipe, make sure to let us know how you liked it in the comments below and tag us in your creation on instagram (@foodheavenshow). Catch you next time! xo
Savory Blueberry Flatbread Pizza
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 naan flatbread
- 3 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1/4 small onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup arugula
- Salt, pepper, and olive oil, to taste
- Preheat then oven to 400F
- In a small pot over low heat, add the blueberries and apple cider vinegar
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, slowly mashing the blueberries with a spoon to release its juices
- When done, you should have a thick blueberry sauce. Set aside.
- Place the naan on a baking sheet, and using a knife, spread the ricotta cheese onto the bread
- Drizzle the blueberry sauce onto the bread, and add the gorgonzola and onions
- Bake for 10 minutes, and top with fresh arugula
- Finish off with salt, pepper, and olive oil, to taste!
Food Heaven Made Easy https://foodheavenmadeeasy.com/