Friends, prepare yourselves for a hug in the form of a recipe.
Consider this your go-to dish when comfort food is on the brain. Not only is it hearty and satisfying, it’s also simple, requiring just 10 basic ingredients and 40 minutes to make (from start to finish). Let’s comfort food!
The base for this dish is a mushroom and lentil gravy/stew.
It starts with sautéed shallot and mushrooms seasoned with coconut aminos, salt, and pepper for rich, deep flavor. Then come lentils, thyme for aromatics, and vegetable broth. As that’s simmering away, start your mashed potatoes.
The mashed potatoes are easy to make as well. Simply peel (or leave skin on for more texture), boil until tender, and mash!
You can go 100 different ways with seasoning mashed potatoes, but we kept things simple: a little salt, pepper, and olive oil, with a few dashes of almond milk for creaminess. SERIOUS yum. For more flavor, you could also add fresh garlic, herbs, or even some vegan parmesan cheese.
All that’s left to do is serve! For garnish, we went for more fresh thyme and a little parsley. Vegan parmesan adds a bit more flavor, but it’s certainly optional.
We hope you all LOVE this dish! It’s:
Fiber- + Protein-packed
Quick + Easy
& So tasty
This would make a delicious easy weeknight meal for two or a hearty side for four. It’s reminiscent of Shepherd’s Pie but far easier to make! Plus, you can sauce up the filling a bit more so it’s more like mashed potatoes and gravy. Total swoon!
If you’re into hearty meals, check out our Moroccan Lentil Stuffed Eggplant, Rich Red Curry with Roasted Vegetables, 1-Pot Everyday Lentil Soup, Crispy Gluten-Free Eggplant Parmesan, or Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n’ Cheese!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Lentil Mushroom Stew over Mashed Potatoes
Crazy delicious and hearty mushroom lentil stew gravy over mashed potatoes! Entirely vegan, gluten-free, and grain-free. A delicious and easy-to-make 10-ingredient meal or side!
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Entrée
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free
- 1 pound (454 g) yellow potatoes, peeled and quartered evenly (I left on some skin for texture)
- Sea salt + black pepper to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) olive oil (if avoiding oil, add more almond milk or vegetable broth)
- 2-4 Tbsp (30-60 ml) unsweetened almond milk or vegetable broth (for added moisture)
MUSHROOM LENTIL GRAVY
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) water (or avocado or olive oil)
- 1/2 cup (80 g) chopped shallot
- 2 cups (140 g) sliced cremini (or button) mushrooms
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) coconut aminos
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme (or sub rosemary // use dried if fresh is unavailable)
- 2/3 cup (128 g) dry green lentils, rinsed + drained (optional: soak overnight in cool water to improve digestibility)
- 2-3 cups (480-720 ml) vegetable broth (or store-bought)
- optional: 1 Tbsp (16 g) tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp mashed potatoes (recipe above // for thickness)
- Heat a large rimmed pan over medium heat. Once hot, add oil or water and shallot and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms and coconut aminos and increase heat to medium-high. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add thyme, lentils, and 2 cups (480 ml) vegetable broth. Bring to a low boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cook on low for about 20 minutes, adding more broth as needed if the mixture looks dry.
- In the meantime, add potatoes to a large pot and cover with water so they are just submerged. Bring to a boil on high heat and cook for 12-15 minutes or until they slide off easily when pierced with a knife.
- Once tender, drain potatoes and add back to pot or a mixing bowl. Season with salt, pepper, and a bit of olive oil and mash until tender and fluffy. For added moisture in place of oil, add unsweetened plain almond milk or vegetable broth.
- Once lentils are tender, taste sauce and adjust flavor as needed, adding more salt or coconut aminos for saltiness, pepper for spice, or tomato paste for more depth of flavor (optional – we didn’t find it necessary). Turn off heat and let the mixture rest so flavors can deepen. Add the 2 Tbsp (30 g) mashed potatoes to the lentil mushroom stew and stir in to thicken.
- To serve, divide mashed potatoes between serving plates or bowls and top with desired amount of lentil and mushroom gravy. Garnish with fresh parsley, vegan parmesan cheese, or more thyme, if desired.
- Store leftovers separately, covered, up to 4 days in the refrigerator or in the freezer up to 1 month. Reheat on the stovetop or in a 350 degree F (176 C) oven until hot.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate based on 1/4 of the recipe calculated with 1 Tbsp oil and without optional ingredients. This recipe heartily serves 2 as an entrée or 4 as a side.
Serving size: 1/4 of recipe Calories: 276 Fat: 7.7 g Saturated fat: 0.9 g Carbohydrates: 43.4 g Sugar: 5.2 g Sodium: 201 mg Fiber: 10.3 g Protein: 9 g