1. Tell us a bit about yourself? Hey there, I’m Taylor! I am making my way through my twenties, the business world, and life, one superfood latte at a time – perpetually in search for new healthy things to make (and eat of course), new fun ways to sweat, and better ways to connect and impact others. In short, food is what I am all about. It’s a universal language that brings us all together to a table. It can make you feel good, it can heal, and it can even extend your life. Food is amazing. I nerd out just researching the medicinal properties of food in the latest nutrition journal, or get pumped when I capture an awesome up-close- and-personal photo of spiralized rutabaga twirled around my fork, but I truly feel fulfilled when I can make an impact on others with food. Food is important and I love educating others on why food matters, and not just to me! This is why I started my tele-nutrition business, Roots Reboot – to help individuals reset, recharge,and reboot the way they eat, move, and live.
2. What’s your favorite part about being a dietitian? Perhaps you’re reading this as a friend, a follower/client of Roots Reboot, or a dietetic intern who’s stumbling across Food Heaven RD Spotlight to see if you’ve made the right career path. Regardless, I can say with confidence that words can’t describe the feeling of being a dietitian and helping someone else succeed in their goals. Whether it’s dropping a dress size for their wedding, lowering their A1C to get off of medication, or helping another dietitian be successful in their own nutrition business, supporting and helping others, big or small, has brought tremendous purpose to my life. Yes, behind my devoted coverage of lox + almond cream cheese bagel sandwiches and daily superfood lattes on Instagram, the journey of being a dietitian has given me real relationships not only with my nutrition clients but also with other dietitians. It has been the best part of what I do.
3. Describe what your typical week looks like? I am your typical type A planner (proudly!), mapping out my day to day. Since leaving my job as a Clinical ICU Dietitian and fully pursuing my private practice and business at Roots Reboot, using task management programs, like Asana, to help prioritize my week has been life changing! If I’m not seeing clients for one-on-one nutrition counseling appointments or direct messaging them on their most recent food diary photo, I am recipe developing and photographing my creations, recruiting other dietitians to join the team, or putting together a training program to help RD’s grow their nutrition passion into a successful business! Being a business owner, you wear many hats and I love it! However, with that, I have come to realize your days never work out as planned. This doesn’t always fly with a type A gal like me but, that’s really the beautiful thing about entrepreneurship! As an entrepreneur, there are endless opportunities for participating in new projects. Some examples are, menu developing at a plant-based restaurant, hosting or attending fun nutrition events, meeting a like-minded business mentor, gaining life-changing connections through social media, or just randomly meeting your next client in the grocery checkout line (somehow, I always find myself there!). I can meticulously plan out my next move but recently, I have been embracing the unexpected, enjoying the process of starting a business, and love seeing where it evolves!
4. How do you find balance between work & personal? Finding balance between work and my personal life is something I definitely struggle with. When you do what you love, it’s hard to walk away from your computer or put down your phone. Sometimes I will work 7 days a week to make sure I accomplish all of my tasks but I admit, I love every second of it. While the days of topknot buns, tea, cozy sweaters, and a good movie are far and few between, as I build my business, I will always find time in my day for a little self-care! I am either catching up with my best friends over a delicious meal in D.C., listening to a Rich Roll podcast or going on a 6-mile run with my dog Bayleigh!
5. What are 3 foods you can’t live without? This is a hard one because like I said, I am all about food! My 3 favorite foods that top the list though are pasture raised eggs, avocado, and chickpeas (I will honestly eat these 3 things for breakfast every day!).
Thank you SO much Taylor! We’re so inspired by all of the beauty and brains on your site, and can’t wait to see all the great things you’ll be creating at Roots Reboot. To learn more about Taylor, check out Roots Reboot, and make sure you follow her on the gram!