Tangy vegan sour cream is here! Let us show you how.
This 5-ingredient recipe starts with soaked cashews. Cashews create the perfect creamy, thick base that’s neutral in flavor. Once soaked and blended, add your probiotics to get the culturing process started.
This sour cream does best with a 48-hour rest/culturing time. The longer it rests at room temperature, the thicker and tangier it will become (just like our 2-Ingredient Coconut Yogurt!).
All that’s left to do is add in your lemon, salt, and apple cider vinegar for flavor and even more tanginess. Swoon!
We hope you LOVE this vegan sour cream! It’s:
Easy to make
& So delicious
For flavor variations, stir in some adobo sauce or chipotle hot sauce for a smoky, spicy spin or blend with ripe avocado and lime for an avocado crema! This sour cream would be perfect on just about any spicy or Mexican-inspired dish. We loved it on a simple baked sweet potato with avocado and salsa. Add our 1-Pot Black Beans for more protein and fiber!
Into sauces? Be sure to check out our Garlicky Guacamole, Vegan Aquafaba Mayo, Easy Red Salsa, Habanero Hot Sauce, and Easy Chimichurri Sauce!
If you try this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and rate it! And don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
Cultured Vegan Sour Cream
Crazy delicious vegan sour cream cultured with live probiotics! Just 5 ingredients and simple methods required, and the result is a creamy, dreamy, tangy sour cream delicious on just about everything!
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Sauce
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free
- 1 1/4 cup (140 g) raw cashews
- 2-3 probiotic capsules (~1 tsp probiotic powder // we prefer Renew Life and Jarrow brands // NOTE: Do not use a probiotic with prebiotics or a pill that needs to be crushed – it won’t work)
- 1 cup (237 ml) water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Soak cashews in very hot water for 1 hour or in cool water for 6 hours or overnight. Drain.
- Add drained cashews to a high-speed blender with 1 cup of water and blend until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides of blender as needed.
- Scrape mixture into a mixing bowl and add probiotic capsules. Stir with a wooden or plastic spoon (not metal as it can react with the probiotics) until fully incorporated.
- Cover with a piece of cheesecloth or a very thin towel and secure with a rubber band. Let rest on the counter (preferably in a room warmer than 70 degrees F (21 C)) for at least 24 hours or up to 48 hours. The longer it rests, the thicker and tangier it will become. We found 48 hours to be the sweet spot.
- Once the mixture has reached your preferred tanginess and texture, uncover and add the salt, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar. Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Taste test and adjust as needed, adding more lemon juice for acidity, salt for saltiness, or apple cider vinegar for tanginess.
- Use immediately, or for cold sour cream, chill at least 6 hours. Will keep covered in refrigerator for 5 days, oftentimes longer. You’ll know it’s gone bad when mold has formed or it no longer smells and tastes appetizing.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate based on a 2-Tbsp serving of 16 total servings.
*Prep time reflects a 1-hour quick soak for the cashews, 30 minutes prep for adding probiotics and lemon (etc.), and a 24-hour culturing period. However, 48 hours is recommended.
Serving size: 2 Tbsp (of 16 total servings) Calories: 56 Fat: 4.4 g Saturated fat: 0.8 g Carbohydrates: 3.1 g Sugar: 0.6 g Sodium: 38 mg Fiber: 0.3 g Protein: 1.8 g