This is a monumental moment for this little site: I’m posting a tofu recipe. Tofu, along with mushrooms, just haven’t been my thing. It’s completely a texture issue. I need crunch in my life and the slight spongy texture of mushrooms and tofu just didn’t work with my food views.
However, over the years, my staunchness against these items has started to give way (I credit this to my friend Emma, who has shown me many ways tofu is delicious). These avocado spring rolls are one of the ways I’ve really been enjoying tofu. I love packing these for car trips or lunches; just wrap in a slightly damp towel and place in an airtight container.
avocado spring rolls
Non-Tofu: If you’re still in the ‘oh no, not tofu’ boat, you could easily leave it out and add cooked rice noodles for a bit of heft. You could also just load up on greens to make it more of a salad roll.
Other Veg: You could easily add shredded cabbage, grated carrots, or fresh spinach (all easy, non-cook items).
Chili Paste: I like an extra bit of kick to my spring rolls. Add a teaspoon, or more, of chili oil to the tofu marinade. You can also make a wonderful honey chili sauce.
14 ounces firm tofu
2 tablespoons sesame oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
1 teaspoon minced ginger
½ teaspoon crushed red peppers
1 large cucumber
1 large avocado
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup basil. chopped
3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon mint, chopped
- Wrap tofu in a towel and place it on a large plate. Place another plate on top along with something heavy. Let the tofu sit for 30 minutes. Slice the tofu into 1/2” thick slices. Toss with the marinade and let rest for one hour.
- Once the tofu is marinaded, fry in a thin layer of oil until golden. Remove from the skillet and let cool. Slice into smaller strips to make them easier to roll into the spring rolls.
- Cut the cucumber and avocado into thin strips. Place the cucumber in a bowl along with the sesame seeds, and herbs. Toss to coat the cucumbers.
- Set up your spring roll rolling station with the warm/hot water, sliced tofu, cucumbers, avocado, and a place to roll/cut each spring roll.
- Soak the rice paper for 10 seconds (you don’t want it too soft when taking it out of the water, it will soften as you add filling.) Place rice paper on a wet cutting board and load tofu, cucumber mixture, and avocado. Roll, tuck, and fold in sides as you go. Continue with remaining ingredients.
- Once done slice in half and serve with a little bowl of tamari or favorite dipping sauce.
Tips + Tricks: don’t let the rice paper wrappers get overly wet before transferring them to the surface. They will continue to soften as you add your ingredients.
Use up leftover ingredients: sesame seeds, cucumber, avocado