Switch up your standard weeknight meal routine with this flavorful Mediterranean Inspired Tofu!
It’s got the zest of the Mediterranean with the all the nutrition to go with it. In case you haven’t heard, the Mediterranean diet is linked with a number of health benefits. And the great thing is that you don’t have to adopt the Mediterranean diet completely- by adding olives, tomatoes, olive oil, parsley, and other foods, we can all benefit from the taste, flavor, and nutrition these foods offer.
The Mediterranean diet has been one of the most widely studied diets in the world. And we don’t mean diet in a restrictive, fad diet type of term. The Mediterranean diet is known for the lifestyle habits that go with it. It has a strong focus on olives, olive oil, whole grains, seafood, legumes, and tons of fruits and veggies. Focusing on these foods has been linked with lower rates of heart disease, cancers, and improved cognitive function in older adults.
Tofu, as many of you know, is an unparalleled source of plant-based protein coming in at 10 grams of protein per 1/2 cup serving from its soybean origin. We love it in this recipe because it is fairly flavorless and absorbs the Mediterranean flavors nicely.
To get this dish going, heat the olive oil and add the garlic and onions on a skillet or large pan. Sauté for 1-2 minutes. Then add the olives, tomatoes, sauce, and spices, and sauté for another couple of minutes. Add the tofu, lower the flame, and cook for 10 minutes with the lid on. Enjoy with the suggested toppings, and warm pita or bread!
Bring the Mediterranean to your own kitchen with the delicious flavors in our Mediterranean Inspired Tofu. What are your favorite Mediterranean foods? Let us know in the comments below!
Mediterranean Inspired Tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 9 pitted black olives, sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, cubed
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 block firm tofu, pressed & cubed into 1/2″ pieces
- Suggested toppings: Fresh parsley, red pepper flakes
- On a skillet or large pan, heat the olive oil and add the garlic and onions. Sauté for 1-2 minutes
- Then add the olives, tomatoes, sauce, and spices, and sauté for another couple of minutes
- Add the tofu, lower the flame, and cook for 10 minutes with the lid on
- Enjoy with the suggested toppings, and warm pita or bread!
- Depending on how salted the tomato sauce is, you may have to add salt to taste at the end
Food Heaven Made Easy http://www.foodheavenmadeeasy.com/