1. The fourth season of Black Mirror is available on Netflix today!! I have to get back to the land of wifi to watch it, but yayyyyyyyyyyyyy!
2. If you’re looking for a tasty winter recipe, then please try the Pioneer Woman’s Black Bean Soup. I’ve been making it for years, and it is super easy and delicious. If you use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, then you can serve it to your vegan friends. OR, you can fry some bacon, dice it, then add it (and the rendered fat from cooking it) into the stew about halfway through the cooking process and not serve it to vegan friends.
3. At the incessant behest of a coworker (we only talk to each other about TV), I started watching Good Behavior this week (the first season is on Hulu, but it’s a TNT show). I didn’t have any idea what it was about, but it stars Lady Mary (Michelle Dockery), so I should have known that I would love it. It’s hilarious, heartbreaking, and intriguing.
“Letty Raines is a thief and con artist who is always one bad decision from implosion. Fresh out of prison, she’s attempting to stay afloat. But when she overhears a hit man being hired to kill a man’s wife, she sets out to derail the job, sending her on a wild collision course with the killer.”
4. And if that doesn’t interest you, then just know the main man in it, Javier, is SUPER HOT.
5. I met my friend Maria for dinner earlier this week at Salt Traders Coastal Cooking in Round Rock. It’s a sister restaurant to Jack Allen’s Kitchen and it was freaking delicious. We shared a dozen oysters from various areas (Murder Point oysters were my favorite – and not just because I appreciate the name) and I had the lobster and crab roll for my main dish. It was my preferred temperature combo with the bread being warm and grilled with buttery goodness, then filled with a cold crab and lobster mix.
6. “My So-Called American Dream: A teen refugee’s journey from Iraq to California.”
7. I did some Christmas shopping at Williams Sonoma a couple of weeks ago and I bought several of these. I bet you didn’t know that you needed Star Wars spatulas, but now you do!
8. Also, why are both of these things called a spatula? They have completely different jobs in the kitchen. I feel like my brain is about to short circuit over this because I saw the picture on the left titled as a “spatula,” so I tried to remember the name of the tool on the right and thought, “Wait, ALSO A SPATULA.” It was a bit traumatizing.
I have never thought about this before. Are there subcategories of spatulas of which I am completely unaware? Like all mugs are a kind of drinking cup, but not all cups are mugs? HELP.
9. I am QUITE excited for the Ready Player One movie. I loved the book and I hope the movie does it justice. It looks quite beautiful from the trailer.
10. I wish you a weekend full of safe and happy celebrations for the new year!